What should I do if I want to report a disturbance of the peace?


Your neighbour is playing really loud music and stopping  you from getting to sleep.

The flat above you is being renovated and the work has been going on, accompanied by a lot of noise, for a long time.

A disturbance is classified by the law (§ 117) as an infringement and comes under the responsibility of the `Ordnungsamt` (opening hours: Monday-Thursday  8a.m. – 3p.m.,  Friday 8 a.m. – 12 noon.  Tel: 0471 590-3470/3480).

If they cannot be reached (outside office hours) call the police.

There are various regulations about `quiet times` in different cities and states.

Generally the rule in Germany is that there should be quiet between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m.

What can you do?

If the noise is being caused by a neighbour try speaking to him, if you think it would be helpful.

In the case of repeated disturbances ask your landlord to intervene or contact the Ordnungsamt.

If the disturbance is excessive and it is outside office hours, call the police on the toll- free emergency number 110.

Make a note of the date, time, duration and type of disturbance, and if there are any witnesses.

What happens next (Police follow up the call)

If the police are called the case is usually considered closed once quiet is reestablished. This usually happens when the police intervene.